Proper food and water habits, regular yoga practice and disciplined lifestyle are some of the core principles to staying healthy. A healthy yogic lifestyle helps to not only prevent diseases but also maintains a healthy body. As per Ayurveda, there are two transition periods in a day, the morning and the evening period. Both of these periods are considered extremely important because of the physiological shift that happens during these transition periods. It is important to set the body metabolism on the right track during these times to ensure a balance of Dosha throughout the day.
The ideal time to wake up is also known as Brahma Muhurta which is before the sunrise. It is the time approximately between 4- 6 AM in the morning. At this time, all doshas in the body are said to be in a balanced state which also means that the body is detoxified and rested. This detoxification make it fresh and ready for the day. Hence, it is extremely important that we can augment or abate these benefits by adopting the following early morning habits.
- One should ideally drink water approximately 1 lit according to his convenience. You can start with 1 glass and then gradually increase the capacity.
- No brushing or mouth cleaning should be done before drinking the water early morning. However, this would not apply in case of pyorrhea or other mouth ailments.
- Water kept overnight in a copper pot is very beneficial and should be consumed early morning empty stomach.
- If you get up and feel very hungry, you can avoid drinking too much water. Hunger should never be subdued by drinking water, especially in “Vata Prakriti” people. This causes indigestion, acidity, and more digestion related problems.
- According to Ayurveda, Constipation is the root cause of all diseases. In case of chronic constipation, Triphala powder 1-2 tsp before bed at night with normal and warm water. Triphala powder is good for all body types and is not habit forming even if used for long term.
- It is recommended to have an early morning bath. Early morning bath stimulates the circulation system apart from cleaning the external surface of the body. The warm or Normal water bath is better for Vata and Kapha Prakrati people. For pitta Prakriti, a cold bath is beneficial as per the season and individual comfort.
- Morning is the best time to practice yoga. One should always choose the style that they enjoy the most. But the bottom line is that one must have some movement in the morning even if it is say Pranayama or brisk walking for 15 mins.
- Stress is a big factor for almost all lifestyle disorders. Therefore, early morning meditation can also be incorporated into the daily routine.
- One of the most important things in the morning is the breakfast. Ideally, breakfast should be a complete diet. Many people have just a glass of milk or juice in the morning and don’t have anything till afternoon which is not recommended.
- The breakfast should be the heaviest meal of the day. Some experts say that it should account to more that 50% of your calories
The tips mentioned above are some suggestions recommend as per the principles of Ayurveda. While following these tips, one must always ensure that the body remains in a comfortable state. We hope that by following some these healthy lifestyle tips along with a regular yoga practice that you learn at our yoga schools in India can help you go a long way in improving your overall health and mental well-being.